Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Gilead




I haven't written about what I've been reading for awhile, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading! After several, light fiction reads I was ready for something a little more literary. My mom gave me Gilead, by Marilynne Robinson for my birthday a few years ago. It won the Pulitzer Prize in 2005 and my brother raves about it. And now, only 20 pages in, I realize all the hype was true.

It's a thoughtful book. And while it's fiction, it's not like the fiction I usually read full of dialogue and colorful characters and an entertaining plot. The story is basically a father's reflection on his life, written to his son. It's full of life lessons learned from living in the Midwest. The narrator is a minister and has lived a long life and wants to share his experiences with his young son.

The cover of the book is so beautiful. It looks like the first glimpse of spring, all watery with shades of blue, green, and yellow. I'm not picky about how my books look. I'll read pretty much anything, but the experience is somehow even more enjoyable when the book itself is nice.

I remember Kyle telling me that this is a book to read slowly, to savor the language, and take time to think about. To be honest, that's one reason it's taken me so long to pick it up. I love to read, but usually I like to be entertained when I read and I want to get through the book so I can read the next one on my list. I can already tell I won't read this book quickly (and I may start reading something else before I finish it), but I want to enjoy the story.

Here's one line I particularly like: "For me writing has always felt like praying, even when I wasn't writing prayers, as I was often enough. You feel that you are with someone."

I like to write in general, but I especially like to write people letters. There's something about choosing a pretty card or piece of stationary and taking the time to write a note by hand that I love. Not that I don't e-mail, I do plenty of that, but the act of writing, whether it's journaling or writing a letter is dear to me.

Has anyone else read Gilead and have thoughts to share? I'd love to hear them. And if you want to borrow it when I'm through let me know!

No comments: