Monday, March 30, 2009

Deadlines




As I am starting to work at home and trying to establish myself as a freelancer I am realizing all over again why I liked going to work in an office so much. A huge part of it was the people. I loved being able to hear what people did on the weekend and always have someone to eat my frozen dinner with or take a walk with over lunch. But I also needed and thrived on the pressure of deadlines.

I always knew I was a goal-oriented person. I can get something done if I have a reason to do it. That's how I got myself through college. I knew I wanted to be a magazine journalist/editor so every class I took and extra assignment I took on was to meet that goal. I should have the same attitude in my freelancing. I'm launching a new career of sorts for goodness sakes, so why is it so hard for me to sit at this desk in our second bedroom and do the work?

There are just so many distractions, things I'd rather be doing. Like finishing A Theory of Relativity, by Jacquelyn Mitchard, or making muffins, or doing the laundry. It's not that I don't want to work, I'm claiming loneliness as my downfall. I don't need someone talking to me all the time, but just knowing that someone was sitting on the other side of the cubicle wall, typing away like me, that kept me sane.

I will learn to work from home. Heck, I'm making progress. It's 10am on a Monday morning and I've already been sitting at this desk for over an hour. I just need to change the way I think about work and appreciate the perks of working at home like being able to make fresh coffee anytime I want, the flexibility to have a coffee date during the day or run when it's nice out.

I'm so ready to be back working I need to take the projects I have seriously. Check out the latest thing I wrote for VeritasMag: Hospitality vs. Entertaining.

No comments: