Wednesday, March 04, 2009

The Sound of Silence



I'm just digging into the latest issue of Relevant (I can't believe it's the 6th year anniversary!) and love this thought on silence:

"I think the devil has made it his business to monopolize on three elements: noise, hurry, crowds...Satan is quite aware of the power of silence." Jim Elliot

It's so easy to go through our days constantly "plugged in" to our computers, ipods, phones, tv, radio. When's the last time you drove somewhere and weren't listening to the radio, returning a phone call, and checking e-mail? I've been trying to drive places in silence at least once a day. It's amazing how much calmer I feel when I get to my destination. (Although as I head on a 10 hour drive to MI tomorrow you can guarantee I'll be listening to music and books on tape to hold my attention :)

1 comment:

Shelley Caldwell and Diana Dickinson said...

Here's my dilemna..How should I communicate with you? Via email, facebook, twitter, text or website? I'll try to make it to coffee tomorrow.
dd